Chili is one of those economical meals that taste great, especially on a cold evening. And since beans are loaded with protein you can make this quick and easy vegetable chili recipe and save even more money.
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can, (15 ounces) hominy, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 small zucchini, cleaned and cut into small cubes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese (optional)
Combine all ingredients except cheese in a large pot. Stir well and bring to a boil. once chili comes to a boil reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with cheese if desired.
Serving suggestion: This healthy vegetarian chili recipe goes well with corn bread.